Thursday, March 17, 2005

Preaching preview

This coming Sunday is Friend Day at MoSt Church so I'm bailing out of my series through Acts this Sunday morning and going with a stand alone sermon for our guests that day. Since a meal together after the morning service is in store, it only makes sense to consider what Jesus said in John 6 . . .
". . . Jesus declared, 'I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. . . . here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which people may eat and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever.'" John 6:35,48,50-51a TNIV
Jesus claimed to be "the bread of life." Imagine I made such a claim for myself! You'd think I was either a nut or a fraud because you know it couldn't be the truth.

Yet Jesus made this claim for himself and we're still talking about it a couple of thousand years later. The claims that he made, the life that he lived, the death he died and the consequences of his words and deeds simply will not go away. They demand our attention; he demands my attention and yours.

But what do I feed on? That is, with what do I feed my life? What is my life’s fuel? And if I am really am what I eat, what am I then? Is what I’m filling up on honestly healthy for me or am I slowly poisoning myself?

Questions aplenty bubble up, but this much is perfectly clear - if Jesus is who he claims to be, then I can no more live without him than I can drive my car without gas or keep on living without food. Jesus must become my life's fuel, my soul's energy and my body's master or else I will indeed die.

So be it.