Sunday, December 11, 2005

Connection - Lk. 1:67-80

1:69 - "a horn of salvation . . .enemies"
"Then Hannah prayed and said, 'My heart rejoices in the LORD; my horn is exalted in the LORD, my mouth speaks boldly against my enemies, because I rejoice in your salvation." (1 Samuel 2:1)

"The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies." (Psalm 18:2-3)

"For you are the glory of their strength, and by your kindness our horn is exalted." (Psalm 89:17)

"There I will cause the horn of David to spring forth; I have prepared a lamp for my anointed. I will clothe his enemies in shame, but on him, his crown will shine." (Psalm 132:17)

"On that day I will make a horn sprout for the house of Israel, and I will open your mouth among them. Then they will know that I am the LORD." (Ezekiel 29:21)
1:70 - "spoke by his prophets of old"
". . . which He promised beforehand through His prophets in the holy Scriptures . . ." (Romans 1:2)

". . . whom heaven must receive until the period of restoration of all things about which God spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets from ancient time." (Acts 3:21)
1:71 - "saved from the hands of our enemies"
"So he saved them from the hand of the one who hated them and redeemed them from the hands of their enemies." (Psalm 106:10)
1:72 - "to remember his holy covenant"
"You will give truth to Jacob and unchanging love to Abraham. This you swore to our forefathers in times long past." (Micah 7:20)

"He has remembered his covenant forever. The word which he commanded to a thousand generations is the the covenant which he made with Abraham . . . He remembered his holy word with Abraham his servant. (Psalm 105:8-9,42)

"And he remembered his covenant for their sake and backed off according to his great lovingkindness. He also made them objects of compassion in the presence of all their enemies." (Psalm 106:45-46)
1:76 - "go before the Lord to prepare his ways"
"Behold, I am going to send my messenger, and he will clear the way before me." (Malachi 3:1)

"But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and one who is more than a prophet. This is the one about whom it is written, 'Look, I send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare the way before you.' Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has not arisen anyone greater than John the Baptist! Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he." (Matthew 11:9-11; cf. Mark 1:2-5; Luke 7:27-28)
1:77 - "knowledge of salvation . . . forgiveness"
"They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more." (Jeremiah 31:34)

"John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins." (Mark 1:4)
1:78 - "sun will rise . . . shine on those in darkness"
"The people who walk in darkness will see a great light and those who live in a dark land will have the light shine on them." (Isaiah 9:2)

"So we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts." (2 Peter 1:19)

"This was to fulfill what was spoken through Isaiah the prophet: 'the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, by the way of the sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles - the people who were sitting in the darkness saw a great light, and those who were sitting in the land and shadow of death, on them a light dawned.' From that time Jesus began to preach and say, 'Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" (Matthew 4:14-17)
1:80 - "and the child grew . . ."
"The child continued to grow and become strong increasing in wisdom; and the grace of God was on Him." (Luke 2:40)