Thursday, December 15, 2005

Petition & application - Lk. 2:21-40

Petition
When will you dismiss me, your servant, Father? Will I go in peace? Not until the eyes of my soul have seen Jesus shape me more into your likeness from the inside out, I pray. Light you have revealed for me, and for light, I pray. You have surrounded me with your people, and for your glory and for their blessing, may I live and die. Mine eyes have seen your glory in the coming of my Lord. And so may I come to him each day before my days are done. Amen.
Application

Our Hearts Revealed
"Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: 'This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed.' " (Luke 2:34-35a TNIV)
Some things about people are just givens. Things like breathing, eating, sleeping - and hiding your heart. Well, three out of those four aren't bad, but a hidden heart is not good.

Ever since the Garden of Eden, we humans have been in the heart-hiding business. We've honed and refined our skills in this area quite well. And we're the losers for it, for what does our heart ache for more than anything but to know and to be known? Still, we hone our hiding skills. We seek to know, but not be known, to be cared for, but not to care and to receive without having to give. We do so almost like we breath - without thinking. And irony of ironies, we do it all while yearning to be open and revealed, loving and loved, giving and receiving. Contradictions with flesh on, we humans are!

And what does Jesus have to do with all of this? Why did he enter the picture, our world?
". . . so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed."
My heart. Your heart. All hearts. That we might no longer hide - or need to hide - from our Maker. That what our relationship with our Creator is truly about might be put on display. That we not go on acting our way through life, as if we could fool God himself as to who we honestly are in heart.

The hope and promise of such openness at the same time attracts and repels. And Jesus, his promised hope to us, attracts both repels and attracts. It - he – pierces my heart and forces me to see myself as I am now and what he can recreate me to be.

So how will I respond to him? Today, any day, everyday? May I not hide the question from my heart or try to hide from the question? May I only open myself up to him as he has revealed his heart to me. And may you do the same.