Tuesday, March 07, 2006

a solid calendar for my pc

Whether it is for looking up things past or keeping up with coming events, a computer calendar is nearly a necessity. However, I've had a hard time finding a calendar that just does what I want it to do. Oh, there is plenty of calendar software out there, but most of it is bloated, pricey or both (Outlook, etc.). Some of it, while free, is still something of an overkill in terms of ability or is still not quite mature (Sunbird, etc.). I just want a simple, helpful little calendar.

I want it to live on my PC's desktop so I can have instant access to it anytime. It must not be a system hog (that criteria alone wipes most calendar software I've seen clean out of contention). It must be quick and easy, easy to install, simple to learn and have virtually no learning curve. It must allow me to make notes for particular days, create a to-do list and has to have reminders or alarms that will pop up and notify me when something is coming up or due. And, of course, it must be stable and quite preferably, free. I don't ask for much, do I? I am a bit of a greedy gut when it comes to software.

Well, I finally found my answer! So far it has proven itself to be precisely what I've been looking for for quite some time. It's got an odd name, but it does exactly what I want and yes, it is totally free. Do yourself a favor, check out Rainlendar.