Sunday, April 23, 2006

relay for life results

Relay for Life was last night and this morning. We had thirty folks on our MoSt Church team, the first time we've done this as a church effort on our own. And we raised $4,333. Simply fantastic!

I started walking about 7:15 p.m. Friday night and walked 45-50 minutes out of every 60 until about 12:30 p.m. Took a break until 2:00 and then walked nonstop from then until I quit at 5:15 a.m. Saturday morning. A total of 105 laps (27 1/4 miles) was my effort. [What's really humbling about that is knowing that the wife of my fishin' buddy here at church has run about that same distance three times already this year in just 4+ hours each time!]

Went home, showered, finally relaxed enough to go to sleep between 7:30 and 8:00 a.m. The neighbors' weedwaters/mowers woke me up at 10:00 a.m. Life goes on, by God's grace.

Three things I have learned afresh from all of this experience: (1) every day of life is a day of great grace and is a blessing to be returned back to Him, (2) we're all in this thing together, and (3) man alive, I'm even far more out of shape than I had even thought. I can't wait until next year's Relay - that is, if I can just walk across the room now!