Friday, June 30, 2006

meerkat manor

Hmmm, let's see, when God washed the earth clean once before he saved more critters than he did people. He must like critters. Deep fried or grilled, I wonder? Bad joke, I know.

I like animals, too (preferably grilled). But among those I enjoy watching rather than eating, the meerkat has been number one on my list for a long time. Now, wouldn't you know the Animal Planet has a series going on Friday nights that is all about meerkats. This show was made for me! Meerkat Manor.

Seems as how a group from Cambridge University followed a group of meerkats around in the Kalahari Desert in southern Africa for ten years(!), filmed their every move and then let meerkat life unfold, from a meerkat's perspective, before your very eyes via the Tube. If you do any TV tonight, you could do a lot worse than this, but you might want to get up to speed a bit on "who's who" in the plot before you watch.